Recipe of the week: Mark and Meghans Yummy Creamy Sausage Pasta Stuff
That's the new official name.
So...this recipe comes from my HR mentor and friend, Meghan. Mark and Meghan can be found by following the Our Fish Family link on the right side of the page.
First of all...a shout out to these two. They took and edited the photos used in Desi's birth announcement, and the photos found here. They have a ridiculously adorable family. Meghan is my mentor at work and the person who helps me stay sane when I am ready to pitch a fit. And...they made us this really really good dinner after Desi was born.
- 2 lbs of sausage
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- Basil (the leaf, not the butler)
- 2 cans stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 pint whipping cream
- Penne pasta
Here's the recipe, as Meghan sent it:
- Brown together 2 pounds of sausage ( you can use the Jimmy Dean brand 1 lb roll, usually 1 of Italian sausage and 1 of sage sausage but I use the Jimmy Dean 1 lb regular and 1 lb hot gives it more of a bite!) together with 4 - 5 cloves of garlic (I like to add more garlic as I like LOTs!). As it browns, break into small pieces.
- Add 1/2 package of fresh sage (those small plastic containers at grocery store) and an equal amount of fresh basil.
- Then add two canned of stewed tomatoes.
- Simmer for 20 minutes
- When ready to serve, add 1/2 pint of whipping cream.
- Serve over penne pasta (I use the fresh pasta b/c it taste better and is faster to cook!) with good, crusty bread. You'll need to serve this in a bowl. We usually like this dish the 2nd day after you cook it as the juices set in more so it’s great for leftovers!!!
Here's what I did, slightly differently for purposes of laziness.
I didn't use fresh sage or basil. I had not fresh stuff handy in the cupboard. I used about 1/4 cup of each.
I also took her advice and went with the 1/2 regular sausage and 1/2 spicy.
Oh...and, I used Italian Style stewed tomatoes, because that's what I had in the cupboard.
My verdict - delish! But, Meg's was better. So...stick with the fresh stuff. Also...I cooked this on Thursday and then had leftovers on Friday. Mark and Meghan don't lie. It tastes even better the second day. I didn't even need the pasta. Just shoved the leftovers into my mouth. Mmmmm. Think I'll make this again next week.