I have left Microsoft to join another company. The Climate Corporation.
Climate is a San Francisco based company with an office in Seattle. In a nutshell, they make technology for farmers. Imagine getting to work on products that impact our every day life in fundamental ways. I spent 9 years working on a super fancy product...Xbox. It was amazing, it was sexy...but, at the end of the day, it was a toy. Something only some people could afford and not everyone was interested in. Outside of Xbox, Microsoft focuses mainly on productivity. Our tools impact people all over the world...but, in ways that, ultimately, we could live without.
In my new role, I will be impacting everyday life. I will be impacting something that affects billions of people in ways that we can't live without. If the world crashes, we can live without our computers. We can't live without our food.
The job is super cool. I'll be working on college recruiting and staffing programs. It's a lot, but it's a small company. :-) My focuses, as I understand them now, will be on university relationship building, college hiring, and programs such as diversity. I get to work on things I am passionate about and I get to take myself out of a comfort zone I have sat in for a long time.
Microsoft has been amazing to me. I have zero hard feelings. I grew more in my first year at Microsoft than I did in my 5 prior years recruiting. My life is so different now.
Ten years ago...
- Desmond wasn't around,
- I was married, but not to my current wife,
- I had 2 cats and an adorable puppy with perfect eye sight and a weird itchy problem we couldn't figure out,
- I lived in Tacoma,
- My list of close friends was almost 100% different (save for the longtime besties like Eric, Liz and MichaelPaine),
- I was in the Navy Reserve,
- John Paul II was the Pope,
- George W. Bush was just elected to his 2nd term,
- Pluto was still a planet.
I'm excited! I'm ready to go! Let's do this!!!
Post a Comment